Monday 18 August 2014

Bobble Baby Blanket Sneek Preview!

I just couldn't wait any longer to give you a sneek-peek at my latest project, my Bobble Baby Blanket.
Voila!

I just love it! I just decided I wanted to do something using Blackberry Stitch which I haven't used much before and so just started using some left-over lemon yarn. After a few rows of Blackberry Stitch I thought I needed to introduce some colour and chose the soft pastels of one of my favourite brands by ICE called Baby Design. You can find the Baby Design range here. The one I'm using is the yellow/pink/lilac/blue. I also love their Dancing Baby range. It's just a shame they don't name the different colour combinations to make them easier to identify! As I say, this one is pastel shades but there are also very bright ones - my Carnival Hoodie and Blanket Set, which you can find here and here, is made with one of the bright combinations in the Dancing Baby range, which you can find here.

SO, I changed yarn to introduce some colour and decided also to change stitch, experimenting a bit before finally deciding on simple half trebles. Just a note again here that I use UK crochet terms which are different from those used in many other places including the US. So, here is a chart giving the terms and their abbreviations according to which you use. As you can see, my half trebles are half double crochets elsewhere. I think the Blackberry Stitch is the same everywhere.
  
USUK
chain(ch)chain(ch)
single crochet (sc)double crochet (dc)
double crochet (dc)treble (tr)
half double crochet (hdc)half treble (htr)
triple crochet (trc)double treble (dtr)
slip stitch (sl st)slip stitch (sl st)

Here are some close-ups of the Blackberry Bobbles. I finally settled on three rows of bobbles (which is actually 4 rows of crochet) followed by 5 rows of half trebles, then 3 more rows of bobbles. It's really quite a simple pattern but I really like the way it is working out.


The blackberry bobble rows are actually worked on the wrong side of blanket but the bobbles puff out on the right side.



Here is a very quick outline of my basic pattern.

Foundation chain.
Multiples of 4, plus 3 extra at the end for turning.

Row 1.
Skip 3ch (count as 1 half treble) half treble into the 4th chain from hook, then half treble into each chain to end. Turn

Row 2.
Ch1, double crochet into each of first 2 stitches * treble5tog into next stitch, 1dc into each of next 3 sts* repeat from * to last 3 sts. Treble5tog into next stitch, 1dc into each of last 2 sts. Turn.

Row 3
Ch 3 (count as 1 half treble). 1 half treble into each stitch to end. Turn

Row 4.
Ch1, 1 dc into each of first 4 sts * work 1 treble5tog into next st, then 1 dc into each of next 3 sts* Repeat from * to last stitch, 1dc. Turn

Row 5
Ch3, 1 half treble into each stitch to end. Turn.

TIP: to get a nice neat straight edge at each end of the row I always work the last stitch into the final chain not into the space.

Rows 2-5 are actually the pattern rows, the treble5tog in one stitch making the blackberry bobble. You then repeat rows 2-5 for as long as you like! As you can see I have just done 3 bobble rows which is rows 2-5 and then rows 2 & 3 again. I then follow with 4 more rows of half trebles but no bobbles before beginning this pattern repeat, rows 2-5, again. I hope that makes sense!

A quick guide on how to treble5tog. Yarn over hook, hook into stitch, YO & pull back through st as if working a treble (3 loops on hook). Yarn over & pull through first 2 loops on hook only (2 loops remaining). *YO, go through SAME stitch again, YO & pull back through, YO & pull through first 2 loops only* repeat * to * for a total of 5 times, ending up with 6 loops on hook. Yarn over & pull through all 6 loops. Secure bobble with 1chain/slip stitch.
After working treble5tog into the same stitch you'll end up with 6 loops on hook as in the pic above. Then yarn over & pull through all 6 loops on hook, like this.....

Then secure the blackberry bobble with 1chain/slip stitch before working 1 dc into next stitch as per pattern.
This is the view of the wrong side. If you turn the work over you'll see the bobble puffed out on the other side. And that's it!! 

Well, I've spent much longer than I planned writing this post so must love you and leave you till next time! Don't hesitate to get in touch if you want any help or advice with these instructions - or with anything else in my posts. Just one final request tho', please don't use my photos, although you are welcome to use links to my pages, and if you do use my pattern or instructions please DO acknowledge the source and include a link to my blog page. Thanks, BFN, Tricia xx


No comments:

Post a Comment