Sunday 25 May 2014

Making a difference......

Young people get a LOT of really bad press these days and, yes, SOME of it may be deserved BUT why do we as a society focus SO much on the negatives, rather than the good that is out there? This morning I went onto Facebook, which I rarely use, to catch up with some family photos and found myself following various links about an AMAZING young man Stephen Sutton  who I had previously seen on TV.  Stephen's story is incredible, inspirational and uplifting and shows us all what life is REALLY all about. I didn't realise until today that Stephen sadly passed away on May 14, when I was abroad. The world is poorer for his loss but infinitely richer for having had him in it.

Whilst Stephen was undoubtedly an exceptional young man, he is not the only young person out there who is doing their best to live a good life AND to make a POSITIVE difference but too often it's the negative stuff that is focussed on and reported. GOOD news doesn't sell papers, which is why I stopped reading them 30 years or so ago!

I invite you all to read Stephen's Story, to share it and, if you feel able, to donate here to the charity that he supported because there are lots more great young people like him out there, too many of them battling with cancer. Stephen originally set out to raise £10,000 and to date has raised almost £4 million!! His story serves to remind me that we can all make a positive difference in our own world, in countless ways on a DAILY basis and it doesn't have to cost  us ANYTHING. In fact, it GIVES us so much.......

20 years ago someone gave me the original 'Random Acts of Kindness' book by Danny Wallace, a book which sparked a world-wide movement. There is a commemorative edition which is a bit pricey but I found another less expensive little gem here. For many years my boys and I have practiced the philosophy in countless small ways on a daily basis, as have so many others around the world, and we have experienced first hand the difference it makes in our lives and in our own personal worlds, even if we are not always aware of the difference it may make to others. We have had many heart-warming experiences of connecting positively with strangers by some small act of kindness and Stephen's story serves to remind me of how the intention to live positively and to make a difference can sometimes take off and become something much bigger and transformational.  

Right, inspired and uplifted (thank you Stephen) I must go and get something done! P got back last night from a week away sailing - and has gone sailing! So, I have the rest of the day to catch up with some chores and then do some hooking later. Flower Garden blanket is coming along nicely I think......



Can't wait to get back to it, so I'll catch you later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment