Saturday 31 May 2014

Projects - old and new.

I don't know about you but I always seem to have several projects on the go at once! And even when I get that sense of satisfaction and delight at having finished one it doesn't necessarily spur me on to finish others. I have pondered this over time: I used to think that it was a not-so-good thing, that I am a starter not a finisher, that I lack perseverance etc.

But I have now come to the conclusion that it is actually more about having different projects for different times. So, there are things I can work on while watching TV and others that I can't because they require more concentration.
There are small projects, like the flowers for my Flower Garden Blanket,


which travel well if I am on the move or away from home.


But once a project gets to a certain size, it really becomes too big to take around to be done on the move.
 I find it easier to take a hooky project out and about than a knitting one usually, mainly because of the size of the needles.

Also, and importantly, creating something with your hands is NOT just a practical thing! It's an emotional/spiritual experience too and some people just don't realise that. So, I need a range of projects to work on because what I decide to do at a given time depends on my mood and what I feel inspired to do. The truth is I LOVE starting AND finishing projects! Both are EXCITING! However, what I do in between starting and finishing is dependent on a lot of factors - and I am ok with that!

So, having finished a couple of projects in recent days, like my Rainbow Ripple Cot Blanket, yesterday I started a new one - my Rainbow Ripple Pram/Stroller blanket. A smaller version of the original one, just the right size for a crib, Moses basket, car seat or pram/ stroller blanket - and small enough for Little Peeps to carry around as a comforter, as they so often want to do!

I did this much watching TV last night......
 Because it's so much smaller it shouldn't take too long to finish this one - and I do so love rippling!

I've also set myself a target to finish another small pram blanket that I started AGES ago, when away from home for several months caring my lovely Mum. At that time, having something creative do with my hands was so important and therapeutic for me, even if I didn't have much spare time. So I got out some of my Mum's unused yarns and made a couple of small blankets. This is the one I still need to finish......
It's just simple, traditional Granny Squares in a turquoise green and pale pink which I am crocheting together with double crochets on the right side, which gives a 3D ridged effect, like hedges between fields.
And then I have a knitting project to finish.......
This is the back of what will be a one of my Hoodies - a hooded, double-breasted duffle style coat with wooden buttons and loops, like this one but smaller. This one will be for a 6-12mths old Little Peeps. I love this yarn, which I have only been able to find online and it ships in from Turkey. I've used it before for my Baby Hoodies in vibrant colour ranges. It's a lovely, soft DK yarn, not as thick and chunky as the Aran weights I usually use for my toddler-size Hoodies, but nicer for little babies I think. This time I ordered a range of softer pastel shades and this is the first one I have used. It's the same yarn as used for this blanket
which can be found here. I have got a matching lacy patterned version of the hoodie on the go too!
So, these are the four projects, two hooky and two knitting, that I have on the go at the moment and I have PROMISED myself not to start a new one until at least one of these is finished!

We'll see how I get on with that...........

Ok, must go.... We've got visitors arriving on Monday for the week and I've got chores to do now - and a project or two to work on later!

Update: Well, I THOUGHT I had these four projects to finish - until I got my craft baskets out! Of course I had completely forgotten my unfinished Flower Garden Blanket when writing this post! So, FIVE projects to finish!! Better get to it........

No comments:

Post a Comment