Wednesday 28 May 2014

Tea Cosy Make-Over

A little while ago, whilst going through my baskets, I came upon a number of unfinished projects which had been abandoned for one reason or another - usually because I have become distracted by an amazing new yarn that I just have to try! I'm sure you know THAT feeling well! We all seem to share it.

Anyway, I came across a collection of small squares that I had done to use up some left-over yarn from some baby hoodies I had knit. I had intended to make a small pram blanket with them but wasn't sure that I had enough wool - and then I got distracted by other projects.......

Well, just at the time that I found these squares I was also looking for a nice new tea cosy to cover my beautiful Royal Doulton teapot that I had started using again.

My tea cosy was looking far too shabby for such a beautiful pot!

It was then I had the thought that maybe my abandoned squares, some of which were already joined together, might be made into a new cosy. As is often the case with these fortuitous 'meant-to-be' moments, when I draped the squares over the old cosy it was clear they would be PERFECT! There were exactly enough of them, with enough wool left over to do a border around the bottom edge. 



So, I joined them together to make side seams and folded one square at the top of each side to shape the corners.




I then did several rows of double crochet around the bottom, open edge to pull the cosy in a bit to make a snug fit around the pot.

 I was quite pleased with the finished result


 except that it was a bit floppy and, with all those holes, I wasn't sure how hot it would actually keep the tea! Fortunately I had not yet thrown the somewhat shabby but still functional quilted cosy away. So I washed it and put my crocheted cover over the top!


So now I have a luxury cosy with padded liner and crochet cover!



The old cosy inside keeps the tea lovely and hot AND protects my crochet cover from getting tea stained, which means I have to wash it less often - I just throw the old cosy lining into the machine as necessary! Brilliant!

I love the fact that I have been able to recycle something old and finish an abandoned project at the same time! All in all I'm really pleased with this little make-over! I wonder what my next one might be........... cushions maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment