Friday 20 June 2014

Brazil, Football, Carnival and all that Jazz!

Well, we may not have got the World Cup result we wanted but many evenings of football on the TV produced this very pleasing result for me!


My little hoodie is nearly finished! I must have been too caught up in the football at some point tho' because my Moss Stitch went wrong on just half of one row on one of the fronts - but I didn't see it until I had finished it, crocheted all along the top and front edges and attached the hood to that side!!!!! Oh my!! And, although it was really difficult to see (P couldn't see it at all), once I'd noticed it that was that - it just had to be put right! So VERY CAREFULLY I unattached the hood, undid the crochet edging, unroved the knitting back to the mistake - and did it all again! It actually didn't take that long but still....... that's something else to lay at the door of our poor England team, eh?

Just have the shaping of one sleeve left to do now and then the wooden buttons to sew on and the fastening loops to crochet. There are a few buttons to choose from
Cute little teddies, rocking horses, penguins or puppies! I've got lots of other buttons too, clowns, laughing Santas, hearts etc but the size and colours are not right for mulit-coloured hoodies like this one. I think I'll probably choose puppies this time.......

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with how this has turned out: I'm especially pleased with the Puff Stitch border which ties the hoodie in very nicely with the pram blanket I think.
 As you may know from my previous post, the border originally had two rows of Puff Stitch like the blanket but I decided this was too much for such a little hoodie - the single Puff Stitch row, with rows of half trebles each side of it works much better. I also made smaller Puff stitches than on the blanket. I think the crochet borders add that little extra to the hoodie, and the lemon provides a nice contrast to the very vibrant colours.

I've not added crochet borders to my knitted projects before but I like this and so it may well become a regular feature from now on, especially if I am matching hoodies with blankets. 

I like to name my projects and since this one was inspired by and created during the World Cup I have a few possible names, like Rio for instance, but I think I will probably call it Carnival, which reflects the exuberance of the colours and the joy of life - and has nothing whatsoever to do with football!!!!

Well, wherever you are, whichever team you shout for - or not - I wish you many long, happy days filled with the positive spirit and exuberance of Carnival and nations coming together in peace.........

Bye for now, Tricia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment